Popular Posts

Monday, August 24, 2020

My Hill Girl

It's an advantage
when people don't notice you
but you can notice them freely.
So, in college I used to observe people
not in the bad sense but in a good sense.
I used to observe those for whom
I developed some soft corners.
So, my first love was a woman from
the Northeast...
I noticed her on the day of the entrance test
We both sat in the same room. 
The five feet eight inch girl took my breath away
And I instantly fell in love with her.
She was such candid and spontaneous
That I couldn't ignore.
She felt so fresh like a waterfall in the hills!
Definitely, I didn't guess the exact height
when I first saw her and it was much later
I learnt about it from her own mouth.
She came from a Tibetan family and often
played basketball in the court.
I admired them..all the girls from the hills
And while going to the science building
I used to check the court for "my girl.'
To gain her friendship, I had to make some effort.
There was competition from the boys
especially a Northeast boy from Gangtok
who had probably some sort of infatuation (though not revealed explicitly).
I had to be cautious as I didn't want any rumors
or didn't want myself to mark as a "lesbian"
Because, I knew I wasn't and I never loved her
from that perspective.
My love for her blossomed
my love for the Northeast and its people.
People from the hills
are not hypocrite like the people from the plains.
They are more closer to the western culture and music
And they never hide that nor they unnecessary
boast about Indian "traditions and culture."
Their women enjoy more freedom than the city people
I always admired their short dress, their beautiful hair and skin.
I cherish my "hill girl"
In my memory and in reality.

LKO










No comments:

Featured Post

Mystic Rain

The month of June The fall of tree The mystic rain I would pursue you till the end