It was Bhaiphonta when the first time I revolted;
I might be in third or fourth grade.
I had barely any knowledge of feminism
Nor I knew about gender equality.
The cousins came to our house.
They were given good food
The lamp was lit;
The chandan was prepared
They were waiting for us.
I was standing at the corner
When my sister completed the ritual
my turn came;
And nobody could move me
a single inch from that corner.
I didn't want their gifts nor their blessings.
In my mind I thought
Will there be a single day
when I would receive the same treatment?
The two brothers were disappointed
And I knew I broke their heart
But I had to.
Lucknow, India
I might be in third or fourth grade.
I had barely any knowledge of feminism
Nor I knew about gender equality.
The cousins came to our house.
They were given good food
The lamp was lit;
The chandan was prepared
They were waiting for us.
I was standing at the corner
When my sister completed the ritual
my turn came;
And nobody could move me
a single inch from that corner.
I didn't want their gifts nor their blessings.
In my mind I thought
Will there be a single day
when I would receive the same treatment?
The two brothers were disappointed
And I knew I broke their heart
But I had to.
Lucknow, India
No comments:
Post a Comment