In solitary
when I think of us
I think of our beautiful yet
intense beginning;
I remember your waiting
And your intangible embrace,
I remember your "coming out" to me.
I know you won't be angry or offended
Even after my harsh criticism
'cause, we have rain in our hearts
that drips, drips, dripping....
I know, it becomes difficult
And it is often painful;
After all, it is not easy to love a feminist!
Or for a feminist it's not easy to love
someone who is culturally conditioned.
Yet, our love survives all odds
And we still hold hand
from miles apart.
Lucknow, India
Critical Note: I am attacked by the "patriarchy" bug. And I need to rectify that. The moment I say it is not easy to love a feminist, then I am considering the whole idea of feminism as an alien thing.Though, in the next line I say it is equally difficult for a feminist to love a person who values social norms and don't want to break traditions as well as don't protest against things that are imposed on them. May be I was trying to say for most men, who follow social norms because they are supposed to follow out of social pressure, loving a feminist is not easy especially in a country like India where patriarchy is still a strong pillar. Also, I do feel there is no such thing like "social pressure" unless you take that pressure on yourself deliberately. However, it does take a lot of courage to ignore such pressure and gain autonomy.
when I think of us
I think of our beautiful yet
intense beginning;
I remember your waiting
And your intangible embrace,
I remember your "coming out" to me.
I know you won't be angry or offended
Even after my harsh criticism
'cause, we have rain in our hearts
that drips, drips, dripping....
I know, it becomes difficult
And it is often painful;
After all, it is not easy to love a feminist!
Or for a feminist it's not easy to love
someone who is culturally conditioned.
Yet, our love survives all odds
And we still hold hand
from miles apart.
Lucknow, India
Critical Note: I am attacked by the "patriarchy" bug. And I need to rectify that. The moment I say it is not easy to love a feminist, then I am considering the whole idea of feminism as an alien thing.Though, in the next line I say it is equally difficult for a feminist to love a person who values social norms and don't want to break traditions as well as don't protest against things that are imposed on them. May be I was trying to say for most men, who follow social norms because they are supposed to follow out of social pressure, loving a feminist is not easy especially in a country like India where patriarchy is still a strong pillar. Also, I do feel there is no such thing like "social pressure" unless you take that pressure on yourself deliberately. However, it does take a lot of courage to ignore such pressure and gain autonomy.
No comments:
Post a Comment